American Association of University Women
Job Title: Public Policy Intern
Location: Washington D.C.
Public Policy Internship
The American Association of University Women (AAUW) is a national membership organization, founded in 1881. Our mission is to promote equity for all women and girls, lifelong education, and positive societal change. AAUW_s priority policy issues include education, Title IX, workplace issues, civil rights, and retirement security.
AAUW’s Public Policy and Government Relations Department seeks interns to work with both its legislative and grassroots teams each academic quarter or semester. Interns will learn about the legislative process and provide grassroots assistance to members. Interns monitor legislation, participate in lobby visits, attend Congressional hearings and press conferences, and respond to requests from policy-makers and members.
A minimum of 30 hours (four days full-time) per week is required. Internships are unpaid, but may be used for academic credit.
· Assisting with AAUW Capitol Hill Lobby Corps, drafting briefing materials on current legislation and issues; participating in lobby visits with congressional staff;
· Attending various coalition meetings, briefings, and conferences as a representative of AAUW;
· Drafting and updating fact sheets, correspondence to members of Congress, position papers, legislative updates and alerts, and articles for policy publications;
· Assembling and updating coalition meeting packets and mailings;
· Assisting with AAUW’s Voter Education Campaign - a non-partisan, issue-oriented capacity-building and voter turnout campaign;
· Answering requests from AAUW members regarding public policy issues, and tracking AAUW member activity on those issues;
· Other related tasks as assigned.
· Interest in learning about advocacy and the national law and policy-making process;
· Competent written and oral communication skills
· Proficiency using Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, and Outlook);
· Excellent interpersonal skills, professional demeanor, self-directed and independent, with a strong commitment to women’s equity;
· Good research skills;
· Good sense of humor.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter, resume, 1-2 page writing sample, and two references to: Intern Coordinator American Association of University Women 1111 Sixteenth St., NW Washington, DC 20036
Organization Web Site: www.aauw.org
Email replies to: email@example.com