Foundation for National Progress / Mother Jones
Job Title: Development Associate
Location: San Francisco
Salary: $30k -$35k
Do you enjoy working to support a mission? We are a 30 year old nonprofit media organization focused on a commitment to social justice implemented through first rate investigative reporting and we are looking for a dynamic person to join our development/fundraising team.
Benefits of working at Mother Jones:
· Health, dental & vision benefits for our employees and their dependents;
· Paid vacation starting at 3 weeks a year, and increasing to 4 weeks a year after 1st year anniversary, 5 weeks a year after 5th year anniversary, and 6 weeks a year after 7th year anniversary;
· Other benefits such as pre-tax commuter benefits, a cafeteria plan, and a 401(k); 37.5 hour work week with optional, summer hours, program;
· A supportive work environment; we like to promote from within.
Position: Development Associate, non-exempt
Supervisor: Associate Publisher of Fundraising & Communications
The development associate provides support for the 5-person fundraising staff by acting as a key point of contact for Mother Jones donor inquiries and customer service requests; by managing day-to-day fundraising data processing and gift processing; and by producing and distributing (and, working with the Associate Publisher) writing twice yearly fundraising appeals to our mid-level contributors, 7 times per year magazine issue mailings, twice yearly newsletter and media impact reports, and the organization's annual report.
The successful candidate will have:
· Solid working background with PC-based business applications software (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Filemaker Pro). Experience with Raisers Edge fundraising software a plus;
· Previous use of Internet as a research and communications vehicle helpful;
· General non-profit business experience helpful;
· Ability to multi-task, set and reset priorities, and to do what it takes to get the job done;
· Possess a pleasant and professional phone manner, and a sense of humor;
· Demonstrated experience of persuasive short-form writing ability.
Development department duties:
· Manage the Raisers Edge database;
· Liaison with donor database consultant;
· Coordinate all in-house mailings;
· Process in-house gift acknowledgements;
· Logistical support for donor events and board meetings;
· Donor stewardship and customer support;
· Create and manage production of written Development department stewardship and marketing materials including newsletters, Media Impact Reports, donor acknowledgements, in-house appeals and bi-monthly stewardship letters and other written materials as needed; General administrative duties:
o Support for the Associate Publisher of Fundraising & Communication;
o Maintain and organize departmental files, records and community space;
o Correspondence (in & out), telephone calls and arrangements, filing, and related tasks;
o Assistance with board meeting materials, audit preparations and special projects;
o Involved in the preparation of simple spreadsheets, financial reports and finance department projects;
o Assist with research and data input;
o Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Salary range for this position $30,000 to $35,000 per year, subject to experience, skills and other factors.
The terms of this job are covered under the terms of a collective bargaining agreement with Local 2103, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America, AFL-CIO. Mother Jones and its parent organization, the FNP, are committed to building and maintaining a diverse and welcoming work place. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital or veteran status, union activity, physical or mental disability, on-the-job injuries, AIDS or HIV status, age, or any status otherwise protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
How to Apply:
Absolutely no calls. To apply, send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample (please limit to 1-3 pages) to Emma Logan, Human Resources Director via firstname.lastname@example.org with Development Associate in the subject line. Organization Web Site: www.motherjones.com
Email replies to: email@example.com